Professional and commercial chefs have known the benefits of using high-temperature silicone bake ware for years.
Not only is it durable, flexible and non-stick, it's also exceptionally easy to remove baked goods from it - just pop them out!
Woolworths has introduced a colourful range of wobbly baking mats, moulds, quiche pans, spatulas and pastry brushes.
Jen Franklin of Zest Catering offers us a few tips and tricks on using it:
- use it in the oven, microwave or freezer
- roll, bend or fold it in order to optimise storage
- continue to grease or flour the moulds according to the recipe's directions, even though it has inherrent non-stick properties
- allow baked goods to cool before removing the mould
- use the baking mat to place warm pots
- use the baking mat when making pavlova - there will be no breakage as it won't stick to the mat
DO NOT ...
- adjust recipes when using silicone bake ware
- bother using baking paper with it
- use a sharp knife when cutting cake inside a silicone mould
- be too forceful when cleaning it. Simply soak in warm, soapy water and wipe clean. Never use abrasive soaps or scrouting pads.