In season from around August to May, sweet potatoes are deliciously healthy and so easy to prepare. Here are 6 quick and easy ways to bring them into your daily cooking.
- Sweet potatoes make perfect chippers. They will be much lower in fat then when fried. To make rub cut chips with olive oil, ground coriander, ground cumin and smoked paprika. Spread onto a baking tray and bake at 180°C until soft and golden brown.
- It's worth the wait to bake a sweet potato in the oven. The flesh is soft and fluffy, and the sugar is gooey and caramelises under the skin. Split open and top with a dollop of garlicky crème fraïche or wilted baby spinach and crumbled goat's-milk cheese.
- Take thin slices of sweet potato and smother them in cream, chicken stock and thyme. Bake until soft and golden.
- Bake slices of sweet potato in apple juice until soft and sticky.
- Scoop out and eat the flesh of a baked sweet potato, then fill the shell with garlic and lemon-dressed rocket and eat all.
- Add fried onion and fresh sage leaves to mashed sweet potato for a deliciously different flavour and texture.
RECIPES USING SWEET POTATOES