TASTE's Hannah inspires with some delicious toppings and fillings to use with Woolies' fab range of burger patties. Just add friends, fries and good wine!
Burgers seem to be everywhere nowadays, and I have been invited to a fair share of burger parties where everybody gets to create a burger with the toppings, fillings and buns they most prefer.
Sometimes it has turned into a frenzied competition to see who can create the most outlandish and delicious gourmet burger!
With the launch of Woolies' "Friday Night is Burger Night" campaign, I have been inspired to host my own burger party this Friday.
Woolworths has a delicious range of patties - thick, thin and lean beef burgers, ostrich burgers, crumbed chicken burgers, veggie burgers, Grabouw burgers, lamb burgers and Halaal-certified burgers - more than enough to choose from and it saves me time from making different patties.
Each of these is ready to be grilled, topped, tucked and enjoyed with a glass of beer or wine and piles of chips or shoestring potatoes.
For inspiration on building 4 different burgers, watch the video at Woolworths The Pantry and follow the easy recipes that suggest toppings for different patties.
OR TRY THESE BRILLIANT BURGER TOPPINGS
1. If you're grilling your patties over the fire, make a tomato relish where you place parcels of baby tomatoes and seasonings in foil parcels among the coals.
2. Pickles are one of the world's favourite burger toppings. Sweet and sour gherkins straight from the jar and sliced into wafer thin slivers are heaven on a classic cheese burger, but you could try your hand at making your own cucumber pickle that's ready in 10 minutes.
3. Cheese is a must-have and you are literally spoilt for choice. Buy yourself a good block of Woolworths' creamy The Big Cheese Cheddar which adds just the right amount of flavour while melting wonderfully over the hot patty.
Or spoil yourself and grate a bowl of fine, aged Parmesan, or put out a gorgeous wedge of super ripe Brie. Fried Halloumi is a treat all to it's own and delicious with chilli jam.
4. What's a burger without onions? Here are my three favourite ways of using them:
5. Bacon - as long as its streaky and crispy your job is done!
6. Avocado – nothing beats cool, creamy slices of ripe avocado on a crunchy crumbed chicken burger or tasty beef patty. Or go for a home-made guacamole with lots of lime and garlic.
7. Chillies provide a nice bite. Woolies stock a pre-packed sachet of mixed chillis ranging from hot Habenero and Thai to cooler Jalapeno.
Go for big, fat, juicy chillis as opposed to dry or tiny ones. Remove the pips and serve them sliced - char-grilled if you have the fire going.
8. The sauce. From hot mustard to tomato sauce, a good dollop of home-made mayonnaise, chilli, peri-peri, garlic, pepper, blue cheese, pesto, tzatziki or cranberry - the only limitation is your imagination!
9. Something extra: roasted tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, slices of moist biltong, sweet chilli cream cheese, fried eggs, hash browns, hummus, pineapple, chorizo, chakalaka, chilli jam, chipotle and chutney.
10. Salad leaves: The list is full of an endless variety of flavours and textures, so put out a few different leaves for everyone to choose. Rocket, coriander, iceberg lettuce, baby salad leaves, butter lettuce, crimson beetroot micro leaves...
Brioche is all the rage, but not everyone gets it right. Buy the best from an artisinal baker, and toast the halves lightly before serving.
Other favourites are crispy Portuguese rolls, soft white hamburger buns (the world's favourite), Ciabattas (heat & eat from Woolies), English muffins or wholewheat seeded rolls. I've heard of people using pitas, naan and slices of rye or potato bread too, but the choice is yours.
One of South Africa's favourite sauces is Monkeygland. Abigail loves it just as much and has generously provided her recipe for you to try and serve at home. Thanks Abi!
Woolies would love to hear about your awesome burgerness too. What are your favourite burger combinations? Email them at email@example.com and stand a chance to WIN a Woolworths shopping voucher, and be published on their website. Oh, and you are welcome to send a pic if you can. Good luck!
MORE FROM HANNAH